Thursday, January 22, 2009

Veteran Differences

As I told you in the beginning I have a special place in my heart for our countries veterans. As a Patient Representative in a VA Medical Center I have the opportunity on a daily basis to interact with a wide variety of veterans. I have come to know what I suspected all along that there are great differences in the veterans we serve based on the era they served. Now let me preface this by saying this is just an opinion of one man and I know that not everyone will agree with what I have to say. This is just a mear observation and a perception that I have of our veterans. I don't mean any harm by this because I truly do respect and love our veterans and believe they all deserve a great gratitude of thanks from all Americans.

Lets start with the WWII veteran. This veteran served his country because it was just what you did. Many WWII veterans chose to serve because there was a war on and their country needed them. They didn't question the war or their responsibility to serve, they just served because it was the right thing to do. So they left their farms and other jobs and headed overseas to take the fight to the Japanese and Germans. When the war was won they came back home, rolled up their sleeves and went back to work. They didn't feel then and many don't feel now that this country owes them anything. They were humbled by the celebration of their return and you won't hear many of them talk about their war experiences unless you ask. They never have been boastful and almost seem embarrassed when you stop to thank them for serving their country so honorably.

The Korean war veteran is much like the WWII veteran in the fact that they joined to serve because that was your obligation to the country. When the war was over they too came back and went to work. However, the country had began to change. There wasn't the same welcome home celebration that the WWII veterans received. Oh there may have been some small town welcome home parades for the local veterans but nothing like the WWII veterans received. I believe too that this was a beginning of distrust towards the government for our country as a whole. This country had never lost a war and in effect this war was more of a tie. Hence, we still have communist North Korea and a somewhat democratic South Korea.

This brings us to the Vietnam veteran. These veterans were either drafted or joined to avoid being drafted into the Marines or Army and many, as you know, burned their draft cards and fled the country to avoid serving. This was a very unpopular war when our country was struggling to find it's own identity. Many wanted peace not war and the government did a poor job of explaining why we were there in the first place. When these veterans returned it was a horrible reception. When they stepped off the plane it was to people yelling obscenities at them, calling the veterans "baby killers" and spitting on them. the country had lost it's respect for the veterans that served. Now many of these veterans have grown bitter and cold towards this country and have totally lost faith of the government that they had felt, with just cause , failed them. These veterans feel the government owes them and they want what is owed to them. These veterans are very demanding and many of them walk around with a huge chip on their shoulder and many of them have turned to substance abuse in order to cope with the pain that they feel. We as a country have let this veteran down and in a effort to not let any other veterans down, we as a country, have done everything we could to try to make the return veterans of today feel loved and appreciated. This is some cases have just poured salt in the wounds of the Vietnam veteran. We can't go back and correct our mistakes but we can darn sure make sure it doesn't happen again.

Now, a large part of my time in the military was served during peace-time conditions, thank God! I did however fall into the next group of veterans known as Desert veterans, as did my son. When the Desert veterans returned the nation was so determined to get it right this time that it was like the WWII veterans return all over. This group of veterans have learned, from the past mistakes, how to work the system so to speak. They are just as demanding mainly because they usually know what benefits they are eligible for and they want those benefits NOW.

Finally, we have our current veterans. These young veterans are returning to a similar situation that the previous desert veterans returned to. They too can be demanding and in some cases feel that once they are out of their service commitment they are forgotten about. They appear almost to be in a panic about how things are supposed to work for them. Initially I don't believe their exit briefings were thorough enough however, that has changed. The OEF/OIF veterans carry the highest priority in the health care system and groups have been formed to specifically assist them with their transitions.

As I look back at what I have said there may have been some rambling but like I said in the beginning it's just one mans opinion. Each day as I serve this variety of veterans I have one thought in mind and that is how honored I am to have the opportunity to serve such a fine group of men and women. And what an honor to be counted among those that have gone before me in service to their country.

"There only two that have been willing to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Veteran. One died to save your soul and one died to save your freedom!"

If given the opportunity thank a veteran today, I thank every veteran that enters my door regardless of when they served.

7 comments:

Buck said...

I don't have a lot of sympathy for "demanding" Vietnam vets, draftee or otherwise. The great majority of those who served in WWII were also draftees, and they re-integrated into society fairly well, for the most part. Your point about the "welcome" we received upon returning home is well-taken, but I find that lil bit of unpleasantness was relatively easy to overcome, forgive, and forget. Sorta.

I AM heartened by the way the country is treating our current generation of servicemen and women, tho. Better late than never, I suppose.

Good on ya for doing what you do, Dale.

Becky G said...

Hey, Dale. Nice blog. I'm glad you got around to starting one.

Bag Blog said...

Wow,Dale, been thinking on this a while?" Just teasin'ya.

It seems as our country went from a "if you don't work, you don't eat" country to a country of freebies, everyone wants his share. I think this effects the soldiers of each generation. WWII and Korean Vets were not welfare generations - they did not expect government handouts. Younger generations have been taught that it is the governments job to take care of them. But there are those who are great and have done great. I know of lots of Vietnam Vets who make it a point to meet the returning Iraq soldiers at the airports.

Dale said...

Buck, You know when I started this post you and my brother Chuck were two Vietnam veterans that I thought of as examples of the other side of the coin. My brother had my father as an example of what to do when the war is over. Another thing was you both chose to stay in and continued to serve. That decision I thing is where the difference lies to a degree. The VV that stuck with it seemed most often to end up on top. Thank you Buck and Chuck for your service!

Becky, Thanks for coming by. I have been reading your blog but I haven't been posting anything, sorry. Your post the other day broke my heart when you asked if anybody was still out there. I'll do better!

Lou, I guess my passion for the men and women who have served showed a bit in this one. The more I wrote the more I thought to write. You have made a good point....

(It seems as our country went from a "if you don't work, you don't eat" country to a country of freebies, everyone wants his share.)

I think you hit the nail on the head with this one. I was worried that I was hitting the Vietnam Veterans a little hard on this which I did not want to do. I know that we have some awesome Vietnam veterans that are doing everything they can to right a wrong. I certainly wanted to make sure that my appreciation for the veteran was evident.

Unknown said...

I believe too that the younger generations want something for nothing as well. However, most of the time it is not deserved, but in some cases it is. I am Dales son. The VA paid every bit of my college, but I paid for it with my body (2 dislocated knees, 1 dislocated shoulder and 7 knee surgeries by age 25). So I believe it was completely warranted that I wanted this from my government. There are alot of things that I cant do because of serving my country. Don't get me wrong now, because if I had the choice to go back and do it again I would. I love this country very much, and would love to have served in this past war.

I believe if a veteran, no matter what generation, put his body on the line and more or less had it beat up on like I did, then I think that veteran has every right too want something from his government. If you think about it that veteran paid for stuff up front with his body. You can ask my dad, I dont ask for a lot either. He raised me to work hard for the stuff I need and want. However, there are a lot of younger generation veterans out there that ,yes they did their time in service and deserve the benefits,but are just fine physically, but throw a fit, and try to get everything out of the system that they can, but that was the way they were raised. Ok, enough of me rambling. Just wanted to say my piece.

Carol said...

Hey Dale, great blog. I too, am honored by the oportunity to be able to serve all veterans. My motto when I went to work for the VA 29 years ago, is the same as it is today, "I treat all veterans the way that I wanted my Daddy, a WWII veteran, treated." Keep up the good job!

Dale said...

Carol welcome to my blog! How's Japan? What was ur blog again?