Thursday, January 29, 2009

Frustrated

What do you do when you try to help someone that needs help but they keep sabotaging themselves? I mean you know they need help, everyone around them knows they need help, they even know they need help, but they keep throwing a "monkey wrench" in the help you're trying to get them. Day in and day out I help veteran with various issues. Example; I have a veteran that tells me he hasn't received his medication that he is supposed to receive each month. Well the first time you order the medication that the veteran needs and explain to him that all he needs to do is as soon as he receives his meds he can go ahead an order his next refill, which will be suspended until it is time for him to receive them. Then the next month rolls around and it's the same picture all over again, and what do I do, I order his meds and again explain to him the process. I am his enabler, thanks mom.

Another example is an alcoholic. You know, everyone else knows, and even he knows that he has a problem. You convince him that he needs to seek help so he goes through the processes to get the help he needs until he gets to that last step. The doctor ask him if he has a problem and he says no. What's the doctor to do he can't force the program on him, because he has to want the help bad enough to follow through with getting the help he needs. Some see the light and eventually get the help they need some refuse and face the consequences they have in store. Which, in my father's case, was a very early grave at 47.

When you see your loved ones suffer through things and you try to get them help but they refuse, it rips your heart out. What do you do? Well, I'll tell you, when it comes to love ones especially, you fight! With everything that is within you, you fight and you pray! I believe that God answers prayer in one of three ways, (Yes), (No), or (Wait). Paul tells us to pray without ceasing and that is what you do and that is what I will do!

I feel a little bit better now thanks for listening!!

4 comments:

Buck said...

Which, in my father's case, was a very early grave at 47.

Alcoholism took my Mom at age 45... suicide. So I hear ya, Dale, loud and clear. But NO ONE can do a damned thing until an alcoholic acknowledges they have a problem. I'm most certain you know from whence I speak...

Becky G said...

It's tough situation, that. The thing is, no one can help someone who deep down inside doesn't really want help. Sometimes you just gotta let them fall on their faces. It's hard, but sometimes you just have to let them fail.

Dale said...

Thanks for sharing that Buck. I also lost a 23 year old nephew that was an alcoholic to what they called a police assisted suicide. It hurts to see those you care about make poor choices.

Dale said...

You're right Becky, sometimes you have to let them go to the school of hard knocks. Anyway, late yesterday afternoon my situation worked itself out and the person I was worried about got the help they needed! I believe the answer to my prayer yesterday was wait but it was only a short wait!