Monday, January 19, 2009

Here we are again!

Well getting started was the easy part, keeping it going might prove to be a little tougher. I really want to have a blog that will be updated daily but this weekend without the internet has already caused me to stumble out of the blocks.

As I said in my previous I have three sons, the youngest of which is a professional actor. He has just finished the season doing "Smoke on the Mountain" in Branson. Notice I said just finished which means he is currently out of work. When he made the choice to pursue a professional acting career I knew it would be a hard row to hoe, but he's facing it like a real champ. I actually think it has been harder on mom and dad then it has been for him to some degree. Anyway, he is closing the chapter in Branson and hoping for a bigger and better opportunity with his next company.

This leads me to this thought.......when do parents stop worrying about their children? When do you stop trying to correct or fix every mistake they make and let them find out on their own? With the older sons it was probably around the time that they found someone else to look out after them. For the youngest I'm not sure I will ever let go completely. Hey I'm nearly 52 years old and my mother still calls me her baby as do my older siblings. As far as letting go completely I think we have a hard time doing that because we desire for our children to have a better life, to not go through the same aches and pains that you went through. We don't want to see them hurt no matter how old they get. When my son's was having a tough time with his actistic director, I wanted to give her a piece of my mind but I bit my tongue and let him handle the situation as he saw fit. As tough as it is we have to let them grow, through mistakes, ups, and downs. Through it all I know we can set back and see the fine young men our sons have become.

One day one of my older sons was thanking his mother and I for what we had done for him. He asked me, "dad what can I ever do to repay you for all that you have done for me?" I simply told him to strive to be even a better dad for my grandchildren and just be there, it's as simple as that, just be there. Our children grow so quickly, and then they are gone with lives of their own. I have told my sons, "charish every moment that you have with your family and alway make them you number one priority and you can't go wrong." You know, they haven't let me down and I don't think they ever will when it comes to their children. Until tomorrow, I hope!

3 comments:

Buck said...

...when do parents stop worrying about their children?

Never, I think. "Worrying," of course, is relative. I find I'm ALWAYS interested and concerned about my adult boys but I rarely worry (in the classic sense) and I never intervene in their lives. OTOH, I worry constantly about my soon-to-be 12 year old, mainly because he's being raised by a liberal left member of the academy, aka moonbat. If THAT ain't cause for worry I don't know what is. I'm only half-joking.

Your post triggered a memory of one of the nicest things my stepmother ever said to me, probably about 30 years ago. Which: "We worry about the other kids constantly, but we NEVER worry about YOU." Well, hell... thanks, Mom! ;-)

Bag Blog said...

Very nice blog! I like this format. As for worrying about your children, I think Buck has it right - it is relative. Bo is married and has a wife to take care of him. But Jesse...although she has a great head on her shoulders and is a good kid, I want certain things for her. I just worry over her more. And then there is the grand-kids...

By the way, Craig turned 52 last Sunday the 18th. He is getting married in Austin on April 17th - big party.

Dale said...

.....ALWAYS interested and concerned about my adult boys but I rarely worry (in the classic sense)

Until I learn how to change my fonts I'll have to reply this way.

Buck, I think you hit the nail on the head here it is more of an interest or concern then it is worry. Of course if you continually have the same concerns where you don't think they're getting it the concern quickly becomes a worry.

Lou, thanks for your commments! I knew I could count on you and Buck to be listening. BTW I sent Craig an early Happy Birthday greeting on Friday through Facebook I believe.