Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Significant Dates

On my way into work this morning the radio station that I was listening to was talking about significant dates in history. This of course, was driven by the inauguration of the first black president in American history. The callers were calling in with all kinds of dates. So I started to think about specific dates that I could remember. The specific dates that I could recalled were few. I remembered December 7, 1941 (Pearl Harbor), October 1962 (Cuban Missile Crisis), November 22, 1963 (Assassination of JFK), and September 11, 2001 (Terrorist's Attack). Now before anybody starts throwing things at my blog, these are just the dates that immediately came to my mind. Now I can tell you that there are many more events that happened in American history that I recall but specific date I'm not too sure. Oh I could recall events and google them to find the specific dates, like when man landed on the moon (July 20, 1969), but to recall the specific date was a little tougher. Today's date, I believe, will go down as a specific significant date in American history. How about you, what specific dates do you recall from American history?

4 comments:

Bag Blog said...

I'm not very good with dates unless they become a national holiday, but I have very vivid memories of what was happening and where I was during major events. I can remember what was going on when JFK was killed (we lived in that little house on the corner in Electra). I remember where I was when MLK was killed (it was the talk of Mom's beauty shop in RR). I got sent from the room for being silly during the moon landing (I got bored with the fake view of the moon waiting on the astronauts to get out of the spaceship). April 19, 2005 was the OKC bombing - I remember the same sick feeling of horror as when I watched the Twin Towers go down on 9/11.

Buck said...

Dates are sorta irrelevant to me, it's the occasion that sticks. Three occasions I'll NEVER forget: JFK's assassination, the Challenger's explosion, and 9/11/2001. Others stick in my mind as well... like the Detroit (and elsewhere) riots of '68, the first moon landing (watched live in an after-hours bar in Japan), and so on.

Oh. And the actual DATE of my second wedding. Biggest day in my life, personally.

Dale said...

Lou, I did remember MLK being killed and I remember worrying that it was a white person that killed him and the riots would return. I was young and it was a very scary time for me. I also recall the morning in June of 68, I believe, when Bobby was killed. It seemed like to me the world was going crazy.

Buck, I agree with you on dates being irrelevant to a degree. The occasion is what pops out first followed by the date.

Bag Blog said...

Dale, When Bobby Kennedy was killed, I can remember thinking why would anyone want to be president if they all get killed.