Friday, September 24, 2010

Sad Situation

In the 24 years I have lived in my community, I have watched one of the local high school football teams struggle year in and year out. I think that this school has probably had less then 24 wins in those 24 years on the football field, but I had never seen this team do what they did last night in the game I was officiating in, nor have I ever seen this in nearly 14 years of officiating football. They quit! I'm not saying that they just quit trying to stop the opponent or score, they just quit! With 7 minutes and 42 seconds to go in the 4th quarter and only down by 16 points and driving inside their opponents 40 yard-line, the home team coach walked across the field and told myself and the other coach "we're done". My thought was "coach why don't you just call all the rest of the schools on your schedule and forfeit your season!" "Save the schools money and put into the outstanding band program that the school has!" What a pitty, what do you think this teaches the boys that were on that field last night? "Well boys, in life when your back is against the wall and you're in a loosing situation, just throw in the towel and quit." If I had a boy on that team that would be the last game he would play for that coach. Any thoughts?

3 comments:

Bag Blog said...

That is pretty bizzare! I'm amazed they still have a football program at all.

Becky G said...

That is just unbelievable! For the coach to just up and quit like that...That coach should be fired.

Dale said...

@Lou- I agree, I wish they would just fold the program up and let the funding go to the school's fine arts programs. The school has a pretty good reputation for having exceptional band, choir, and drama programs. The band has something like 18 consecutive sweepstakes trophies. Which means for 18 years they have achieved a 1 in marching, a 1 in concert and a 1 in sightreading.

@Becky- Sad thing is Becky, this is this coaches first year. But what "good" coach would want to come to a school where over the last 24 years you couldn't manage more then one win a season?