Friday, April 17, 2009

You Never Know

This week has been one tough week. On Friday the 10th I received a text message that a very dear friend of mine had lost his 26 year old daughter. I was heart broken and called my friend immediately. Well as you can imagine I wasn't able to speak to Charles until Saturday morning and he and his Sharon were devastated. He tried to explain to me what had happened as he understood it to be and then Sharon completed the call. Charles has been like a brother to me and this was like losing a niece. Shelley and I spent Easter morning on the road to Big Spring, TX.. It was a long drive but Shelley and I felt like we needed to be there for Charles and Sharon. Once we arrived in Big Spring Charles shared with me his final moments with his daughter. He told me that the last words spoken between the two of them were "I love you". This child entered into eternity knowing without a doubt that she was loved by her father and mother.

Anytime I speak with my sons it often ends with an "I love you". There have been time when I wondered if I say it too much and it comes across as just another comment, but when I think of how fragile our lives are I realize how important it is to let those you love know how you feel about them. I didn't have a father at home but every time I spoke to him he told me how much he loved me and I believed it, and as dysfunctional as our family was I knew I was loved because none of us were afraid to say "I love you".

Your assignment today is tell someone that is special to you, how much they mean to you, tell them that you love them!

I love you Jeremy, Jason, and Billy aka William!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom and Dad always make it a point to say "I love you" everytime I talk to them on the phone or I'm about to leave their house. I know I can never hear it enough...or say it enough.

Love you, Uncle Dale!!

Christina

Dale said...

I love you too Christina!! Your dad has always been good about telling me that he loves me even when time and distance has separated us! Thanks for the visit!

Bag Blog said...

I don't know your friends or their daughter, but my heart goes out to them. You are good people to lay your life down for them and be there when they needed you. I love you.

Dale said...

Thanks Lou, I didn't want to be any place else on that day, it broke my heart to see Charles and Sharon go through this but I knew I needed to be there. I love you too Lou!

Buck said...

Good on ya for making the trip, Dale. Support during tragedy is ALWAYS welcome... and needed.

The last words between my sons and I before parting... whether in person or on the phone... are ALWAYS "I love you." You can never, ever say or hear that too much. It's just not possible.