Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Now What Do We Do?

Well, I have a dilemma, we are on our way to see our youngest son perform in Wichita, KS. and we want to take Scooter with us. I'm retired military so we were hoping to be able to stay in lodging on McConnell AFB but there are no pet rooms available at this time. We are now in a search for pet friendly motels but the ones we have call so far want to charge a pretty pricey pet deposit. We could just leave Scooter with his brother and my son's family but my youngest wants to meet Scooter. Anyway, a decision has to be made soon; if anyone has any suggestions please let me know! We want so much to take him we just don't know if this is a good time or not.

My next rant is; what has happened to youth baseball? My oldest grandson Dallas starts t-ball this spring. My son, who is going to coach his team informed me that this league provides shirts only! I can understand not providing baseball pants but what about the hats? This league says that the hats have to be provided by the player. When I entered LL Baseball I was provided a t-shirt and ball cap and in case my mom couldn't afford a glove, the team equipment bag had several gloves in it to be used by the team. I was fortunate that I always had my own glove but there were kids on my team that if there weren't gloves in that bag they wouldn't have been able to play. Some folks may argue that the cost has gotten to be too much, we had sponsors and their cost went up if need be and they knew they were expected to buy t-shirts and caps. As far as the cost for field up-keep, we had work days and parents got out there before the season started and numerous times during the season to insure that the kids had a safe place to play, they were called "volunteers"! Now every facility thinks they need to hire someone to do the maintenance for the fields. People have just gotten lazy and don't even want to go through the effort to organize work days and things of such. We even had volunteers to mow the fields and when it was time to mow it, was time to repair the field. Oh well, I guess things aren't what they used to be! Thanks for listening! Oh BTW you will be receiving Dallas "the Slugger" Rowland t-ball reports as the season progresses because you know PaPaw will be right there helping out where he can!

2 comments:

Becky G said...

I know what you mean about little league. When Cody played, all they got were the shirts. We had to pay extra for the pants, socks, hat, and belt. Not to mention the pictures. And since he played in a private league (Little league is still segregated here, can you believe it?) his registration was more than the city league--but they also played more games. City league only played 6 games. GYL played 12. Then there was the party, and the trophies--which every kid got. Plus the glove. And the shoes. All in all, it usually cost me an average of $100-150 for him to play a year of baseball. I was glad when he lost interest.

Dale said...

Becky you mentioned another thing that drives me crazy. Every kid gets a trophy every year wheather the team is 0-12 or 12-0! I have box loads of trophies in my attic from three boys playing ball. I was cleaning thing out this past fall and I called a local trophy to see if they would like a donation of the trophies and they said no thanks. I called the local LL big man and he said no thanks. What a waste!