Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Why Baseball! (Rant)

There are few sports where a young boy growing up can legitimately dreaming of playing on a professional level, baseball is one of those sports. At 6 years old I began playing baseball with visions of playing some day in Yankee Stadium. In my dreams I was the all-star short-stop, pitcher or catcher that single handily won the world series. I watched the major league player and tried to emulate every move they made. The first moves I learned was at bat, I would pick-up some dirt in my hands and rub it in to my hands and into the wooden bat I was about to swing, then just before I would step into the batters box I would spit some juice from my double-bubble gum on the ground. Next I would take the bat and knock the dirt off of my tennis shoes, which later became metal spikes. When I would pitch, the catcher and I would come up with 3 signs (1 was the fastball, 2 the curve-ball and 3 the slider), just so I could shake them off for the only pitch I really knew how to throw, fastball down the middle. Well to me it was a fastball! I will say that pitching was not my strongest position, I was much better on the other side of the batter. I was small with quick hands and when I got to SR League ball, right on top of the bag at second base was the extent of my arm strength therefore, anyone trying to steal on me had very little chance if the ball came to me in a timely manner. I loved the game, it was one of few places where I felt like I was loved back. I loved it so much that when I finished playing, which in my home town was about 17, I started umpiring and coaching and did so from 1974 until 1998. Well, anyway I told you that to tell you this, I am crushed at what baseball has become today. There are very few player in the sport today that do it, for the love of the game. Greed, as with everything else has infected my sport to the point of destruction. The championships have been bought and sold for a price. The Yankee's whom I grew up loving, are a disgrace to the greats that played there before them. Oh I'm not saying that the Yankees of old were saints by any stretch but they loved the game and it wasn't all about the money for them. Today's players will change teams in a heartbeat if the price is right, just ask A-Rod. The good thing about what is happening now is that the players that truly love the game stick out above the rest, Derek Jeter and Micheal Young, just to name two. I was fortunate to grow up with baseball in the time that I did. Who do the youngster have to emulate today? Lord, before I got out of coaching that first thing I would have to do was break habits that the youngsters had learned by watching the players today. It was difficult to bat everybody through batting practise on that first practise because the kid would take a swing and want to back out of the batters box and adjust, EVERYTHING! When they realized that Coach Dale didn't stop throwing just because they needed to adjust, they would stay in the box and work on their hitting skills.

Well, in light of everything that is coming out now with the cheating of the game through performance enhancing drugs, and lying about your use until you get caught, you would think I would be through with the sport. The answer is NO, I loved this game from the first time I played catch with my brother to the last time I walked across the infield to congratulate the other team for a game well played. I love the smell of the leather glove on my had and the sound of the wooden bat cracking a leather baseball to deep center field. I will continue to love it to the day I play catcher for Saint Peter's Gatekeepers. There's a line in the movie "The Rookie" where Jim Morris comes up to another rookie and says, "Hey, Brooks, you know what we get to do today? .....we get to play baseball!" or another movie when Kevin Costner realized he wasn't what he used to be, he resigned from the game with a baseball to the GM that simply said "For the Love of the Game". That's what baseball used to be about. Oh yeah, my oldest grandson Dallas, starts Tee-Ball this year and guess what, I'm back in coaching, right along side my son! One because he is my grandson, and two because I want him to learn how great this game can be with hard work and determination. Baseball is special to me and I want it to be special for my grandchildren! Here's a poem my son wrote about his love of the game enjoy!


“A Day at the Ballpark”
By Jason E. Rowland

As Dad and I walked to the booth “tickets for sale”,
Programs! Programs! The man out front yelled.

As we walked through the gate my eyes opened wide,
I couldn’t wait to see inside.

We walked up the ramp and I was amazed,
When I saw the green grass and the batting cage.

I’ll never forget the sound as we sat,
It was Pudge Rodriguez and the crack of his bat.

Dad said, “here he comes the one we came for”,
The pitcher wore the number 34.

I was speechless and didn’t utter a sound,
As Nolan Ryan took the mound.

He pitched so fast the batters couldn’t see,
And they returned to the bench after strike 3.

He broke a record that hot summer day,
He had thrown 10 or more strikeouts in a consecutive game.

A new hero that day I found,
As Nolan Ryan left the mound.

My dad said, “ a hero what’s his name?”
I replied “ You dad thanks for the game”.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!! Well dad your pretty good at this blogging thing. I teared up. Out of all the memories I have there are only a handful that just move me everytime that I think about them. They are the day I met my wife, the days my sons were born, the time mom went with me to LA Tech to try out for Champ, and the many days of summer we spent with you on the diamond. Baseball has always been my first love when it came to sports. Yes I love my Cowboys and my pro football but baseball has always been a game that no matter who was playing whether it was my Rangers, college, highschool, little leauge, or really any baseball team out there I can turn it on the tube and watch it for hours. MLB is in very bad shape and it is very disheartening. One thing that needs to be done to bring baseball back is enforcing a salary cap. I miss the days when I could tell you the complete lineup for the Rangers or any team at that. Now I cant hardly tell you the line up from game to game. Like you dad I will always love the game. You had a movie quote and so will I. "there's no crying in baseball" Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own. Its time the world stop crying about baseball, move on past this and make this great game better. If there is one thing that I can say about baseball its that it has and will always stand the test of time. From the World Wars to the players going on strike. I just hope that by the time my boys are watching the big leaguers on tv that there is some players out there worth watching.

Love you Dad,
Jason

P.S. that poem tears me up everytime I read it.

Bag Blog said...

I love the poem and I love baseball. I remember lots of days of watching you and Craig play baseball in the back yard (that is how the back window got busted) and then at the ball park in Electra. Craig was not good about letting me play with ya'll - neither was Electra. I was pretty good at retrieving foul balls and returning them to the concession stan for a snow-cone. But I do remember learning the game on the playground - especially with Mrs. Bosh (sp?) who would set up little tournaments between the third graders. I played softball all through my school years and into my young married life. I still love playing and do so now and then when Jesse needs an extra player on her slow-pitch softball team. I have never been to a professional baseball game, but it is one of my dreams. I have already been to the OK City Red Hawks website to plan a day to go see them play ball.

Buck said...

Well said, Dale. And the poem? No Dad could ask for more... or better.

J.W.Rowland said...

I love that saying " for love of the game". I guess that is why I still get out there on the diamond trying to play with the younger kids playing softball. Even after the broken nose playing catcher, line drives off my body playing pitcher or numerous ground balls I have taken to my mouth and body, I keep coming back for more. I love the game almost more than anything else, but I too have to agree that I have become a little disgruntled at the way baseball has become. Noone around the league anymore is like Ricky Henderson, Pudge or anywhere close to the great Nolan Ryan, or Will Clark. I would take a whole team of Micheal Youngs or David Eckstein ( I think thats the little short stop that used to play for the Angels) before any of these other guys that are just out for the almighty dollar. I too will remain to be a huge fan of baseball, but not real happy with the way the game has gone.

Hopefully Dad, Jason,William and myself will be able to go up to Fayetteville this summer to watch some championship ball. It would be a great time to get with the guys to go out and watch a game we still all love.

Dad's utility player,

Jeremy

mornin'lady said...

Good reading Dale. I suppose if I was going to watch a sport it would be baseball. There's just something about the baseball I remember that has a certain romance other sports are missing. It seems to be more deeply connected with American traditions for me.
That poem is real sweet, good memories here! :)

Dale said...

Jeremy/Jason- The times we shared on the baseball field are among my favorite. It was our time, just father and son! Thanks for being there!

Lou- I do recall Craig and I playing baseball in the back yard, playing home run derby, of course Craig was always better then me. Chasing foul balls for a snow cone. The smell of cotton candy, popcorn, and chilly packs in the air. Thick cotton/wool blend baseball uniforms with the smell of moth balls in the Texas heat, yeah I remember.

Buck/Dawn- I loved the poem and the times I spent with my sons. Great memories.....

Carol said...

What wonderful memories! I remember when I was a little girl spending the night with my grandparents and my Pa listening to a baseball game on a little transistor radio when we went to bed! I loved all my years at the ballpark when Jennifer played softball until her graduation from high school. I hope my grand daughter follows her her footsteps! The poem is awesome! Brought tears to my eyes.