Thursday, February 5, 2009

What a week!

It seems like a month since I posted anything on the blog! This has been one of those weeks where I spend all day on the computer and phone at work and the last thing I want to do is get back on the computer. Anyway, my thoughts for tonight goes back a few days to Groundhog Day and College Football Signing Day!


Have you ever seen the movie Groundhog Day with Bill Murry? Well in case you haven't it's a movie where Bill gets wrapped up in some sort of time freeze where he lives Groundhog Day over and over and over again. Well, that leads me to this thought how would you like to be able to live a day over and over again until you got it perfect? At first I thought man it would be great to be able to go back and correct bad decisions. Then I thought well I would also have to remember all of the good decisions I had made thoughout that day. When I really look at it I realize that I'm not the one in control anyway and I would more then likely end up smack dap in the middle of the same place I'm at. Why bother going back.

Next, how about college football signing day! This was the first time in a long time that I paid much attention to signing day for college football. I am as you know an Arkansas Razorback fan and when it comes to recruiting we have desperately lacked in signing top recruits. With a new coaching staff on board I was excited to see how well he would do in recruiting top talent. Well the day came and went and according to the local sports talk radio this was the best recruiting class in the schools history. For me that is exciting because in 1964 we did have a National Championship under Frank Broils. I know 1964, hey we gotta start somewhere. According to Rivals.com, Arkansas was ranked 14th in the nation in recruiting. The scary thing is that in the conference, SEC, there were 10 schools in the top 25 schools, and topping the list was another favorite school of mine Alabama. At number 2 just below Bama was LSU. The problem with playing in the SEC is we beat up on each other. The good thing is we play in the SEC where National Championships are won!

Buck said a few days ago: "I don’t watch football on Sundays as a general rule, believing as I do that football, the sport, is played on Saturdays… and Friday nights. Football, the bid’niz, happens on Sundays… and Monday nights and even Thursday nights, occasionally." Exile in Portales

I have to agree with you Buck, I love Friday night lights and Saturday's excitement!

You know Lou, I too have had a brain dump the only difference is I wasn't smart enough just to let it go. Oh well, I hope there is at least something in my ramblings that you like!

4 comments:

Becky G said...

I saw that movie once. If I had one day to live over, it would be last year's playoff game against the Giants. They'd keep playing until Dallas won.

I don't pay much attention to signing day, since I don't really know who any of the high schoolers are. Now, I follow Draft Day religiously.

Gotta disagree about Friday and Saturdays. High school football is kinda boring. College is fun to watch, but it's too frustrating the politicking that goes on--you know where winning doesn't mean a blamed thing if you don't look "pretty" enough doing it. Or how about when the coaches get together with the "I'll scratch your back if you'll scratch mine" business in the polls. I much prefer the NFL, not just because of the better the quality of the game, but also where it's all about the Ws. No style points. No coaches polls. No AP polls. No worrying about looking pretty. No running up the score to get more points in the rankings. Just win. That's all.

Just win.

Bag Blog said...

After my dad retired from teaching, there was no reason that he could not stay in the mountains through Sept and enjoye the cool air rather than the heat of Texas. But no, Dad always had to get back to Wichita Falls. Why? Football season - specifically high school and college football.

Buck said...

Yup... college ball is "where it's at." Sport, not bid'niz. Less bling and thugs, too.

re: Groundhog Day. One of the last movies I watched before I went off movies altogether. I loves me some Bill Murray!

And thanks for the linky-lurve, Dale!

J.W.Rowland said...

re:High school football is kinda boring.

To me High School ball has to be about the most exciting football out there. If you think about in Pro ball they play to see themselves on the high light reel. College they are playing to make the big bucks. I believe in HS they play for the love of the game. Yes they do try to do well to make it too that next step. All in all though they play for the love of the game. I officiate HS ball with my dad (Dale) and there is nothing like the sounds and smells of a Friday night game in a small town, or even a bigger town that has one team to support.

To me there is nothing like watching these boys give their all for their families, friends, and coaches. Of course I get a better view of the game than most people, but its still exciting in the stands.