Monday, November 22, 2010

November 22, 1963


Even though I was only 6 years old on November 22, 1963, I remember it like it was yesterday. I remember the announcement being made over the intercom and my teacher crying and running out of our classroom. I seem to recall school being let out early of course since the assassination was after lunch and President Kennedy wasn't pronounced dead until 1 p.m., it could have been just our time to go home. I do remember seeing very little of my teacher until it was time to go home.

I remember traveling to the Metro-plex and Dallas over that weekend (I believe or maybe a weekend later) and Uncle Buddy taking us down the parade route that the President's motorcade had travelled the day before. I remember seeing Daly Plaza and the Grassy Knoll covered with wreaths. I remember seeing the people in the plaza wondering around, placing wreaths and crying.

I remember watching TV and seeing Lee Harvey Oswald deny his involvement and seeing the knot over his brow. I remember seeing him gunned down on national TV and seeing the chaos that ensued for a man named Jack Ruby.

I remember seeing the the funeral of the President and the music playing, the grieving widow, and John Kennedy Jr.'s salute. I remember seeing the the riding boots turned backwards in the stirrups. I remembered seeing the leaders of the world grieve over our President's passing.
If on 9-11-01 our nation lost it's innocents it began on November 22, 1963. RIP Mr. President

3 comments:

Bag Blog said...

You have a great memory. I do remember Mom crying. I remember her reaction to MLK's death too. She was worried that all hell would break loose since he was such a peacemaker.

Dale said...

Lou, I remember MLK's death as well and worrying about the same thing. I remember hoping that it was not a white guy who killed him. There was such unrest at that time, and of course the media was always showing the worst of the worst. Sad times in American history.

Bag Blog said...

After Bobby Kennedy was killed, I can remember thinking, "Why would any one want to be President if they always get killed?"